Groundnuts (Peanuts) are rich in protein and should be a great feature in our daily diet. For me, Groundnut Milk is the best way to get the nutritional benefits of groundnuts without chewing. I usually go for foods that I can drink or swallow much more that the foods I have to chew.
Ingredients for making Groundnut (Peanut) Milk
- Raw Peanuts (Groundnuts)
- Cool water
- Vanilla extract
Notes on the ingredients
- I only keep this milk for 48 hours maximum in the fridge so I usually make the quantity I can finish within that period. If I do not boil it, I just make the quantity I can finish in one day. I get 600mls of Groundnut Milk with 300g of raw groundnuts.
- I always buy peeled raw groundnuts (peanuts) but if you can only buy unpeeled ones, see step 1 in the directions for how to remove the skin.
- When blending the soaked peanuts (see step 2 in the directions below), just add enough water to help the blades of your blender move. You will add more water later when rinsing the chaff.
- If you will use the flavors, add them when blending the groundnuts. I prefer the unadulterated natural delicious taste of Groundnut Milk.
- Raw groundnuts, corn, cassava and many other food items may contain aflatoxins which are said to be produced if the food item is contaminated with a certain kind of mold. To eliminate the risk of these aflatoxins which can affect human health, boil the Groundnut Milk before drinking. It is OK to drink it raw because the amount of aflatoxins in food is said to be negligible.
- To blend it, you'll need a kitchen blender. My blender has 600W power and it did a great job of blending the soaked groundnuts.
- To strain it you'll need a bowl and a chiffon cloth or ladies stocking/tights (pantyhose without the panty).
- To boil it you'll need a pot, a stove and a spatula.
Directions for making Groundnut Milk
- Rinse and soak the groundnuts in a generous quantity of cool water for 3 hours.
If you are using unpeeled groundnuts:
- Pour warm to hot water on the peanuts and leave for a few minutes or till you notice the skin become baggy.
- Pour out the hot water and replace with cool water.
- Rub the groundnuts between your palms and watch the skin come off.
- Once they have all come off, decant the skin in the same manner of decanting beans peel when peeling beans.
- Pour cool water into the bowl of peeled groundnuts and leave to soak for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, blend with as little water as possible till smooth.
- Sieve with a cheese cloth or any chiffon material that does not allow the chaff to pass through.
- Pour the milk into a pot and cook over medium heat till it boils. Stir often so that lumps do not form.
- Once it boils, leave to cool down completely, remove the milk skin and serve chilled or at room temperature.
All Nigerian Recipe